Salt / grit bins

Does your parish have a dangerous corner or hill that becomes particularly difficult in the ice? Is it off the normal gritting route? Your parish council can  apply and pay for a grit bin which will be filled by the county council at no charge to the parish. Remember the grit must be for use on the highway or related footpath. Some district councils pay the county to have bins stocked for use on district land, for example where there is sheltered housing.

Don’t forget to secure the bin. We have already had a case of a grit bin being stolen in one of my parishes. I guess it was the salt / grit they wanted to pinch.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s